Sunday, May 3, 2009

In the Name of Jesus

There’s something special when we use the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the name of the one and only son of God. Whatever we do whether it is worshiping, singing, praying, or serving, we need to do it in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ died on the cross so that we could live life here on earth and have eternal life.

Who can name some of the Ten Commandments? The easy ones to remember are “You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. One of the Ten Commandments is “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.” (Exodus 20:13-15) It is easy to understand not killing, not stealing, and not committing adultery. What is so important about not misusing the name of the Lord your God? Why is it one of the Ten Commandments?

I believe it is one of the Ten Commandments because it is so important. The commandment is written in the “thou shalt not do” style. It is telling us not to misuse God’s name. It is dangerous to misuse God’s name. Let’s flip this commandment into a positive demand. “You shall use the name of the Lord your God wisely.”

Acts 4 is an interesting story about the religious leaders being upset that someone was healed. They wanted to find out who did it and how they did it. Acts 4:5-14 says “The next day the rulers, elders and teachers of the law met in Jerusalem. Annas the high priest was there, and so were Caiaphas, John, Alexander and the other men of the high priest's family. They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: "By what power or what name did you do this?"

They were asking the key question. “By what power or what name did you do this?” It is so important for us to realize where the power is found. The power is found in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth! The rulers, elders, and teachers of the law didn’t realize that their question would be used to teach about the power of Jesus Christ, but that is exactly what this question does for us today. I imagine that it was a little intimidating to be called in front of a bunch of religious and self-righteous people. Sometimes, it is difficult to handle tough situations. In this story, Luke explains how Peter is able to answer the religious leader’s questions and scorn. Luke explains that Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit.


So we’ve learned two things so far:
1) We need to know where the power is and in who’s name we work.
2) We need to be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4 continues, “Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.”

These few verses explain that Peter was able to speak with boldness, strength, and confidence because Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit. Peter also explains that it is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth that this man was healed. Peter explains that it was an act of kindness where Peter showed the cripple the love of Jesus Christ. Peter also prayed for the cripple as a result of having compassion. The prayer used “in the name of Jesus Christ.” That is a key phrase. Praying in the “name of Jesus Christ” is where the power is found.

“Jesus Christ is the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone. Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by whom we must be saved." When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. But since they could see the man who had been healed standing there with them, there was nothing they could say.”

The religious leaders wanted to discredit Peter and John, but there was nothing that the leaders could say to rebuke the amazing testimony by Peter. Peter’s speech was accurate and powerful. In fact, Peter’s speech explained that Jesus is the salvation of this world. We are saved in the name of Jesus Christ. Jesus died on the cross so that we could have eternal life.

The elders also realized that Peter and John did not go to seminary. Peter and John were unschooled. The elders noticed that Peter and John had been with Jesus. Do people know that we’ve been with Jesus? Will someone see the love of Jesus Christ on our face when a person needs lives?

I went in front of the District Committee on Ordained Ministry before my last mission trip. The religious leaders were just trying to get to know me and learn about my faith journey. I was not on trial, but it was intimidating anyway. Can you imagine how scary it was for Peter and John?

There’s times in our lives when we need to overcome our fear with the faith that comes from knowing and loving God in our hearts. Peter’s boldness happened because he had the power of the Holy Spirit and spoke in the name of Jesus Christ. It is useful to understand Jesus Christ.

READ IT IN THE BIBLE. In John 10:11-18,25-30 (NIV), Jesus says "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me-- just as the Father knows me and I know the Father--and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."
I love this scripture where Jesus says “I know my sheep and my sheep know me. They will listen to my voice and they will be one flock and one shepherd.” Jesus knows us. Jesus takes care of us. He is our shepherd. Jesus will be there for us. We just need to listen to his voice and follow Jesus Christ wherever he wants to take us.
Read John 10:25-30

Psalm 23 is perhaps one of the most remembered Psalm. It has so much power. The scripture reads: “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

God will restore our soul. We don’t have to fear evil because we know that God is always with us. Goodness and love will always follow us and God will anoint us. We will be God’s children forever. God is with us regardless of our challenges in life. I felt such a peace while I was in the hospital because I knew that God was with me and that God protected me from the harshness of disease and from evil.

In Acts 2:38, Peter said “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” In Acts 3:6, “TheN Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ, walk.” We must have faith in the name of Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 5:4 says “When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present.”

These verses tells us some key facts: 1) We must have faith in Jesus Christ’s name, 2) The power of Jesus Christ is present when we are assembled in the name of Jesus Christ, and 3) the name of Jesus Christ is more powerful than silver and gold because it can heal.

In Colossians 3:17, it says “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” 2Thessalonians 1:12 “We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.” 1John 3:23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

Okay, we believe in the father, the son, and Holy Spirit. Now, I’m asking you to believe “in the name of Jesus Christ.” There’s so much power in using God’s name wisely. We can pray in the name of Jesus and amazing things will happen. We can meet in the name of Jesus Christ and we can have a worship service filled with power and might. We can serve God in the name of Jesus Christ and we do things that we can only imagine.

Jesus is a name that invokes God. Jesus is a name that we can use in our hour of need. Jesus is the name above all other names. If we call on the name of Jesus Christ, we will never be alone. Let us go out today speaking the name of Jesus Christ. Let us pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Let us worship in the name of Jesus Christ. Let us serve in the name of Jesus Christ. Let us be blessed in the name of Jesus Christ. Today, we must use the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth with wisdom and knowledge. We know that whenever we use the name of Jesus Christ, we invoke the power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment