Sunday, March 13, 2011

Arrived Safely in Accra

We are safely in Accra, Ghana in West Africa. My thoughts from yesterday and today are below. Thanks for your prayers and support.


Regards,


Walter



Saturday, March 12th at 9:30 PM

We are waiting at Dulles International Airport at the gate. We had a great drive from Rocky Mount to Northern Virginia. We had the great fortune to receive a visit from good friends at home who prayed with Susan and me. Pastor Denise and David Bates prayed with us at their home in Herndon before David took us to the airport. The lines at the gate and security were very easy. They tell us that the plane is full, but the airport doesn’t seem hectic like usual.

I’m already getting the urge to tell people “Eta sein?” or “How’s Life?” I slowly remember that I’m still in America and that no one here would have any idea what I am saying. They would probably take me straight to security and off to some holding cell. So… I wait to start talking and greeting people in Twi until we get safely to Ghana.

My thoughts have briefly been on the turmoil and civil wars in Libya and the Ivory Coast. Ivory Coast is right next door to Ghana. My thoughts have also been on the earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan and elsewhere in the Pacific Ocean. I know you are asking why we are going to Ghana. My answer is that God has need of us there. People need hope, faith, and love in bad times as well as good times.


I’m going to really enjoy Kenny Lovelace and Jon Morris. They are going to make a great time. I talked to Kofi Boakye today. I asked if he wanted me to come or if I should just go home. Kofi told me that I am coming home now (to Ghana). It took me a little bit of time that they are starting to think that I am part Ghanaian now.

Our flight is at 10:43 pm tonight on March 12th. We will arrive in Accra on Sunday at 1:50 PM. I’m looking forward to staying with Dinah Bondzie and her extended family. It is like staying at “grandma’s house” with all kinds of people coming and going all the time. We will fit in so easily! We will leave Accra at 6 AM for Tamale on spacious Antrak Airlines the official airline of Ghana. It is actually the only airline that actually flies reliably in Ghana. So, it is the airline that we will take to fly to the Northern Region of Ghana.


March 13th 6:26 PM ET

We've traveled over 5,000 miles in 10 hours from Virginia to West Africa. I slept fairly well on the plane ride.


I'm getting ready for bed. We are tired, but it was a good day. We went to a Christening celebration with Dinah Bondzie. It was a lot of fun. They christen the baby early on Sunday and party the rest of the day that a new life has blessed the family. We made an appearance for about an hour. We really enjoyed the meal at Dinah's family home. We had an impromptu Bible study after dinner. It was an amazing time of study, prayer, and soul searching. The mission team received a prayer and annointing from the family. Getting ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment